8.10.2009

Cooking Class - Lessons 1 and 2

Recently, I have had the desire to become a better cook. I have always loved to bake, but cooking has really been a completely other realm. Luckily, my husband, Nate is an excellent cook - he went to CCA in San Francisco and has since transitioned to a farmer; he always is thinking about food in one way or the other. So we have decided that Nate is going to teach me lessons, which I am very excited about. I figured out that each lesson, especially in the beginning should be learning a practical part followed be a dish using those techniques.


Our first lesson on Saturday went very well. The technique was different knife skills, which I found very daunting. Nate taught me julienne and baton cuts and how to properly cut an onion. I just could not keep my knife parallel on the onion! The dish we made was pasta with homemade sauce using tomatoes, onions and garlic that he had grown, which was really neat.



Our second lesson, which took place on Sunday was all about one of our favorite dishes to eat: Beet, Kale and Goat Cheese Pizza. This is a glorious concoction that Nate brought together last year, and I figured it was about time for me to learn how to make it. I adore beets, which were easy to cut, and I enjoyed cooking the greens, watching them transform was interesting. My only regret - not making two pizzas!

No comments: